Sunday 10 August 2014

Recent Purchases: Double Trouble ft. Rebel MC - Street Tuff

I like to buy and try to build up a collection of vinyl, so this is just an informative update of any recent additions that I have made to said collection.



This weekend I purchased a 12" single of Double Trouble and Rebel MC's 1989 'Street Tuff'. The song reached number 3 in the UK charts, and was the biggest hit for both the electronic dance group Double Trouble and hip-hop rapper Rebel MC.



The song's standout hook is its bassline, which features the exact sped-up bass from Toots and the Maytal's '54-46 That's My Number' from 1968. A highlight of mine from the single is also Rebel MC's lyrics, my favourite being 'I'm the Rebel MC, rough like a ninja, stinging like a bee/Back by popular demand, you're now rocking with the one man band'.

As the video shows from its editing, dress sense and dance moves, it is a very late 80s piece of chart hip-hop, although it is a fun song, and got me into Toots and The Maytals, for which I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment